by K Fletcher

Teaching with Power and the Spirit

We had two huge miracles this week:
1) It was a day when our only appointment fell through and so we knew we'd just be walking and knocking on doors for 4 hours. On those days, the first IO is the hardest. Well, we walked to a house where we knew spanish speaking people lived and there was awkwardly a man sitting in his car outside of the house. We didn't know if we should knock on the house or on the car! We almost, ALMOST kept walking, but then we decided to just go for it. Turns out he has a wife and child, his grandmother in Honduras is Mormon and he'd love to meet with us! We got his number and gave him ours and not 30 seconds later, he texted us to learn our names! And then this morning he called us and said he wants to come to church! I wonder how long his grandma has been praying for us to go to that house!

2) This one has to do a lot more with me and how I teach. I just realized it, but basically my entire mission I wanted people to listen to ME. I wanted to teach the gospel instead of allowing the Spirit to do his job. Finally I realized that no one wants to listen to me. I'm only 21 and basically know nothing. But I know the scriptures are true. All of the commandments and promises of God are contained within. And so, we taught keeping the Sabbath Day Holy to an investigator, Lupe. I decided to fear no man. This wasn't my commitment, it was God's commandment. So we read Exodus 20:8-11.

"Remember
the sabbath day, to keep it holy
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."
I look her straight in the eye and told her that the Lord has commanded us not to work on Sunday. We read the blessings in D&C and the Sacrament prayers and she committed to come to church this upcoming Sunday. It was the most powerful lesson I've been in on on my mission.

I finally feel like a missionary. And that is really wonderful.

We've had a lot of success in contacting people. Hermana Limb and I have been trying so hard to rely on the spirit on where we need to go, which houses to knock on, who to visit, and what to say. Sometimes we get incredibly prepared investigators and sometimes it's just a bottle of water when you really need it. 
We also had a really fun activity for a visiting returned missionary, Sister Garvin, and 2 investigators came, and brought 2 friends! It was really fun. Southern people really do know how to cook.
We also had the chance to go to the beach. I finally finally understand why everyone falls in love with the Outer Banks. It is lovely here. the people are prepared, the work is well, and there are so many miracles coming our way. 
Con Amor,
Hermana Fletcher
PS- No change in transfers! I'm here another 6 weeks with Hermana Limb!

No comments on "Teaching with Power and the Spirit"

Leave a Reply